Sunday, February 17, 2013

How Temple Run 2 Ruined My Life

Six months ago, I posted the following to my Twitter page:

"I've finally fallen into the trap that is Words With Friends. If I ever get a smartphone, I'll know that I am finally doomed."
Well, 2 months ago I became the proud owner of a brand new Android, and let's just say that I really, truly am doomed...

It all started about 2 weeks ago when I picked my niece up from the bus stop and hung out with her until my sister came home from work.

Caitlin: "Aunt Meg, have you ever played Temple Run 2?"
Me: "No, I haven't."
Caitlin: "Can I download it to your phone?"
Me: "Sure. I can give it a shot."

I wasn't quite sure what I was setting myself up for when I let Caitlin hijack my phone and download Temple Run 2, but okay. I opened the game up, played through the tutorial, got a few tips and hints from Caiti, and was well on my way to running away from a monster that looked like a cross between an aardvark, a gorilla, and a bear. Of course, I didn't play for long at first, but once I got home, after having my usual Songpop war with my roommate, I decided to dive back into it and try it again. I started beating objectives, and making my character run bigger distances. I earned enough coins to upgrade my characters abilities. Unlock NEW characters. Unlock NEW abilities.

Holy. Crap. It's time for me to crash for the night. I'm really tired.

But do I sleep that night? No! I toss. I turn. I look over at my nightstand and see my phone laying there in front of my alarm clock. Sigh. I wonder if I can beat that one elusive objective and finally level up. So what do I do? Do I resist the urge, roll back over and finally fall asleep?

No. I grab my phone, open up Temple Run 2, and pick right back up where I left off. I can't sleep, because I'm too busy getting into the game, until I finally do realize that yes, I really am tired and I really do need to go to sleep. It only gets worse when I actually wake up in the morning too. Wake up, grab phone, play Temple Run 2.

I put off trips to check on job applications because I got caught up playing and lost track of time. Woops!

I *almost* ran late picking Caitlin up from the bus because I got caught up playing and lost track of time. Woops!

My roommate had trouble trying to hold a conversation with me because I got caught up playing and couldn't pay attention to both her and the game. Woops!

Sitting in the waiting room before therapy? Better break out Temple Run 2!

This actually went on for about a week and a half. Just a few days ago I finally decided to start giving it a rest. I'm glad I did. It was getting pretty crazy. My roommate still gives me 10 kinds of crap about it from time to time, but it's not near as bad as it was. At least I didn't need a 12 step program to get off of it...

I'll be the first to admit that while I don't really have an addictive personality for the most part, video games tend to be my weakness. I just get so into them because my mindset goes from zero to "OH MY GOD I'VE GOT TO ACCOMPLISH EVERYTHING!!! I CANNOT LIVE UNTIL I HAVE DEFEATED THIS!!!"

Then I get bored and move on to something else, or my responsible side kicks in and I remember that I have priorities that come before gaming. This is something I've dealt with off and on for quite a long time, more than likely since I was 9 and got a Super Nintendo for Christmas that year. And over the years it's grown to other consoles, the computer (Bejeweled, Mahjong, the random bubble games I tend to play on Facebook, Chuzzle) and of course, other games on my phone (Songpop, Fruit Ninja, which I might add I use as the excuse of "But I'm practicing so I can get an awesome high score on the 42 in. touch screen at the arcade!!!", and of course.... ahem... Angry Birds.). While my gaming habits may get obsessive at times, I can assure you, they could be worse. Trust me. I was married to a prime example of that for 3 years.

Luckily for me, I have other hobbies. I have my music, reading, writing poetry (I've written a couple of new poems that are pretty good, one being inspired by Tundra and his demanding personality), crochet (which reminds me, I need to get back on that hat I started last fall that's supposed to match the scarf I made last winter...), my classic car admiration, and this blog, just to name a few. And just because of that, I know that no game will ever kill my social life or totally take precedence over anything else in my life.

Well, at least until something else comes along and hooks me.

No comments:

Post a Comment